Hi Ryan,
Amen to that. I haven't had time to do much testing of my own with the
client myself, but I have spend some time looking at pyttsx for my
upcoming game development documentation. While I like the concept
behind pyttsx it is really not a very good solution. Especially, for a
Linux user such as myself.
For one thing right now pyttsx only seams to support the free and open
source voices like ESpeak. While that is functional when I am playing
a game I'd much rather use something like the Dectalk Software, one of
the Cepstral voices, or maybe one of the AT&T voices for Linux.
Basically, something more human sounding. pyttsx really doesn't have
that kind of support yet.
As for myself, for my Open G3D engine, I'm considering writing a
custom sapi-like library that wraps the Cepstral Swift voices, Dectalk
voices, Eloquence, etc all in a single API that allows a game
developer to access any and all voices that might be present on the
machine. That way if someone owns any commercial Linux voices they can
use it with their current game. Perhaps this is something you need to
think about in the future too.