Right. About the only way someone can really avoid that is to release
a Star Wars game, mod, etc is to put it on a file sharing site like
sendspace or dropbox, leave it up there for two or three days, and
then take it down. That would lower the likelyhood of getting in
trouble, but still  you always run into some risk doing anything like
that.
I've done a lot of thinking about this subject, and  actually have a
private Star Wars game of my own in development, but feel helpless to
actually release it to the public. I've got close to 5 GB of sound
effects alone to work with, but don't feel I can legally release
anything under the USA Games Interactive name just because I don't
want my game company to get in trouble with Lucas Arts for developing
Star Wars titles without expressed permission. There is always that
possability of being drug through the courts over it.