From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Phil Vlasak
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 4:29 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] Surround Sound Gaming Headset with adjustable
volumecontrols

Hi Folks,
A while ago someone wanted to know if there was a headset with adjustable
volume controls for each ear.
I found one on Amazon, though it is a little expensive, but it also includes

surround sound in the headset that would make surround sound games such as
SOD and Sarah sound much better.
Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset by
Sharkoon
Platform: Windows Vista / XP, PlayStation, PlayStation2, Xbox, Not Machine
Specific, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Price: $159.99
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Product Features
5.1 channel headset; 8 speakers (4 in each earpiece); Digital, in-line
volume control; High end amplifier; Independent, illuminated volume
adjustment for each channel and master volume; Detachable microphone with
QuickOn connection
X-Tatic Sound Control Unit (SCU); Supports Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital
5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic; Supports the chat function of PS3, Xbox and Xbox
360; Dynamic Range Control
Center speaker: 2 x 27 mm; Front speaker: 2 x 30 mm; Rear speaker: 2 x 30
mm; Subwoofer: 2 x 40 mm; Impedance: 32 Ohm; Microphone: 6 x 5 mm (L x W) /
unidirectional; Cable Length: 360 cm; Connection: 1 x 9-pin analogue plug
Digital optical input (S/PDIF) 2 analogue audio outputs for the X-Tatic
headset 3 analogue 3.5 mm audio outputs (front, rear, center / subwoofer) 1
microphone connector for PS3 (USB A > USB B) 1 power connector
Compatibilty: X-Tatic Digital; PC / MAC / other sources: analogue input (via

cable adapter); X-Tatic SCU; Xbox / Xbox 360: optical input ;PS2 / PS3:
optical input / USB microphone connection PC / MAC: optical input / analogue

----
Product Details
Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries
outside the U.S.
ASIN: B003H4QIC0
Media: Accessory
Release Date: April 28, 2010
Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Product Description

Award wining X-Tatic Gaming Headset: the Dolby certified X-Tatic Digital.
This high-quality headset features four speakers per earpiece a total of
eight speakers and volume controls built into the cable. Through the
included Sound Control Unit, the X-Tatic Digital can connect to the optical
output of a game console (PS2, PS3, Xbox or Xbox 360), a PC, DVD player or
other HiFi device and immediately delivers high-quality sound to listeners.
The Sound Control Unit outputs analog Dolby Digital and Dolby ProLogic
signals, and supports a second X-Tatic headset. With the newly developed
microphone, the chat functions of the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are also
supported. The ergonomic construction of the headset includes soft ear
pieces and a plush headband, making the headset comfortable to wear even for

long sessions. Sharkoon's X-Tatic digital gaming headsets promises a
high-quality sound that won't break the bank and will propel gamers into an
immersive depth of Dolby Digital environment.

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

   28 of 28 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars New supporter of Sharkoon!! hoorah!, May 13, 2010 By  E.
Reyes - See all my reviews (REAL NAME)

Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound
Gaming Headset (Accessory)
This headset rocks! I definitely took a chance on these despite not having
seen any previous reviews or ratings, but it was worth it. I wanted to test
it out for a few weeks before writing a review. Also, this is my first
Sharkoon product.

Along with the headset itself, it includes

- optical cable
- "sound control unit" (your little magic black box where all cables run to)
- adapters for PC (comes with 5.1 analog for those w/o pc optical), 360, ps3
- detachable boom mic (it does flex to your preference)
- power supply (single cord which splits off to power your SCU and headset
separately) Ex.) you can still disconnect the power to the SCU and still
have power running to the headset by itself. The power supply comes with
swappable heads. I guess this is if you go out of the country and want to
use their foreign outlets.

It took me a little bit of time to figure out all these adapters, settings,
and wires (there are a lot of wires.)

The Sound Control Unit (SCU) is where your optical, power supply and 9-pin
headset connector come together. You can also adjust the general volume
here, but I usually just use the volume adjust attached the the headset
cord. There is a 5.1 analog output as another option for those PC users
without an optical option. With two 9-pin headset jacks, a second person
with the same headset may also listen in. Two Dolby options include Dolby
Digital and Pro Logic. There are two included settings called Time-Delay and

Dynamic Range Control located on the SCU.

Both of these passages taken directly from the manual. Either setting can be

turned on or off.

"Time-Delay - The Time-Delay function allows to define a time delay for the
sound reproduction for each speaker. Thus a spacious playback of the audio
signal can be achieved. Note that increasing the delay too much may cause
unnatural results."

"Dynamic Range Control - Dynamic Range control limits the dynamic,
decreasing the level differences between loud and quiet passages in the
Dolby Digital 5.1 signal thus balancing the effect of loudness."

Other nice features include a volume adjuster which is attached the headset
cord. The X-tatic logo on the headset AND also the attached volume adjuster
light up. Looks good to me! The volume is indicated by the different colors
lighted up on the volume adjuster - ranging from green (very low) to red
(very high). The sound volume from each speaker can also be adjusted
individually. So say you're sniping and you want to hear even more of the
sounds behind you. You can "up" the volume on the rear speakers to do just
that. Or you might be looking to get more "boom" from your sounds. You can
increase the bass volume while keeping the other speakers at their current
volume.
There is a switch to turn off your voice. You can't hear your own voice
while speaking, but I prefer it that way. Voice volume from other people can

also be adjusted independently from game volume. So when I hear a lobby full

of annoying kids, I lower the voice volume and just "up" my awesome game
volume. Bliss.

Comfort 5/5 - Took a night of gameplay to "break-in", so now it fits
comfortably. Good padding so it sits well on your head. The ear cups can be
tilted and also swivel to match your unique head shape (a BIG plus for me.)
I can wear these 4-5 hours easy.

Sound 5/5 - Amazing! Playing MW2 and GOW2 is a whole new experience now!
Sounds I never knew existed in these games gave me a whole new appreciation!

Distant gunfire, rustling of bushes and grass around me, and even slight
downpour can be heard. With that said, the 5.1 directionality will add a
whole new dimension to your gameplay. For me, there is a clear distinction
between if gunfire is coming from front, rear, front left, rear right, etc.
Footsteps come in loud and clear. This keeps me more aware of my
surroundings. Hurray for situational awareness!

Price 4/5 - It is quite the steep investment for me at $159.99, even with
the free shipping from Amazon (love ya for that Amazon!) I did have to think

twice before my purchase solely because the price. Now that I look back on
it, it was the right move.

Overall, this headset definitely meets my expectations. It looks good and
has some surprisingly cool features. Maybe if they could fix the amount of
wires, but I guess that what it takes to work on the pc, 360, and ps3.

Good Hunting!

http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Surround-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B003
H4QIC0

subscription via the web, at