Hi Mike,

Walk, up to the metal plate next to the first set of spikes, press
alt+right arrow to jump the first, set land on the second plate, and
press alt+right arrow to jump the second. Usually, this works fine.

Note, there is a bug found in beta 16 where the jump code doesn't
always jump correctly in the Windows release that has been partly
resolved in beta 17. So if you consistantly die on level 2 with those
particular spike traps this problem is resolved in beta 17 which is
currently in private testing.