Hi Lori,

Yeah. Well, that is the difference between a 2d environment like
Shades of Doom and a 3d environment like MOTA 3D.  Besides the ability
to go north, south, east, and west there is a specific element to move
up and down through the game world too. Either by climbing up or down
on something like a rope or ladder, or to be able to jump up onto
something, or jump down from something. It is a totally different
concept from that used in any accessible game to date, but is quite
common in mainstream games. That's one reason why I felt a bit put out
to actually create a side-scroller as that style of game is pretty
much ancient history as far as the general mainstream boys are
concerned.

Clear back as early as the mid 1990's we saw the first-person and
third-person style game play take over the way people played video
games.  Quake, Jedi Knight, Tomb Raider, etc were very revolutionary
for their time. The mainstream game industry pretty much just
continued from their, and we are technologically falling behind by
clinging to arcade games and side-scrollers in my opinion.