Hi Dark,

Well, I happen to own a set of USB headphones and am quite happy with
them. They have sort of a big end with a USB port that plugs into my
laptop and is detected as a secondary sound device meaning I can have
separate settings for the headset and my actual sound card. What I
like about the set I have is they are the big headphones that covers
your ears and cancel out a lot of background noise which comes in
handy for games. Then, they have a boom microphone that folds down in
front of my face so I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking for dictation,
place web calls, do podcasts, or whatever. the Microphone is extremely
clear with very little background noise. The only complaint I have
with them is I can only use them with Windows. Linux doesn't recognise
them. So I'd say instead of forking out the cash for a new laptop try
a set of the USB headsets.

Cheers!