To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Conceiving Level Maps

Hi Kai,

Smile. Interesting enough you might recall Cara, Willem, and I were
discussing this at length almost a month back. There are different
ways of doing this. Which way you choose probably depends on how good
your math sskills are.

Most professional game developers use bounding boxes to mathematically
calculate when and where two objects meet in 3d space. This is
obviously more accurate, but requires some skill with trig and
geometry to pull off correctly.

Fortunately, there is a less complicated way that I use to draw 2d and
3d maps. I simply use a 2d or 3d array and fill it with predefined
objects like a wall, door, spikes, fire, etc and then save it to a map
file. This works quite whell for me, and the method I have chosen for
the G3D engine.

As for saving map files I'm not sure how you would do it with
something lilike BGT, but with G3D it is very straight foward and
easy. Essentially, what I did is created a global world object, which
contains the map array, and I fill it with objects like walls, doors,
the floor, ceiling, etc. I then serialize that world object, and write
it out to a *.map file. When I load a new level all the G3D engine
needs to do is load that *.map file into memory and we are off. Make
sense?

Cheers!