I bring greetings from sandy Daytona beach in Florida!  As some of you know, my
holiday work schedule just about killed me so my wife and I are enjoying a
vacation to get away from things for a while.  During this time away I don't
have access to the files for my combat game but I did decide to work on some
stuff since I enjoy programming and I am on vacation after all!  lol big_smile
Over the past few days I have been piecing together a little game that I hope
you will all enjoy.

I named the game after the beach since it is probably one of the only
accessible games partially programmed while sitting on the sand a stones throw
away from the ocean.  The game is centered around quick action, memorization,
and hand coordination skills... yes you heard that right, a mouse or track pad
will be required to play this game.  If you don't have a mouse or track pad you
can enjoy scrolling through the game's main menu I suppose, but that seems a
little boring to me.  hehe.

The story of the game is that you are an impoverished wizard who has come
across a spell capable of conjuring magical [gold] coins out of thin air!
Obviously such a spell would solve all of your troubles but the spell is quite
difficult.  Coins are easily created but they will simply turn in to smoke and
vanish unless the mystical gateway can be made stable with the spell.  Speed
and accuracy is the only way to stabilize the magic gateway through its
different stages (levels).  If you cast your spell too slowly it will never
become more stable than it currently is.

I am still working on the part of the game that teaches you how to draw the
various shapes.  Because that is a rather important part to the game, I can't
release it yet for you guys to try.  I managed to beat the game earlier so I'm
still excited!  After beating the game I felt confident enough to record a demo
of me playing through the first 4 levels.  All of the voices you hear in the
demo are from the game itself and not me talking using the microphone.  The
metallic sounds are made as I move the mouse into different shapes.  What is
cool is that each direction you move makes a different noise so someone sitting
beside you can actually tell which shape you drew once they've been exposed to
the game for a bit!  The voice on the right is my character reading up to 3
shapes from the spell book that I must draw next.  The voice to the left is
just encouragement or warning depending on how fast and accurate I currently
am.  Each successful shape, in the
 right order, conjures more [gold] coins that can be heard falling to the
table.  Each successful shape makes its own sound as it casts and a central
voice announces its name.  Lastly, the music begins calm and becomes
increasingly dramatic as I get closer to reaching the next level of stability
for the gateway.  If I, for example, were at 90% and simply stopped casting
spells, my progress would slowly drain until I was back at 0%.  I won't drop
below the last level I reached, but it means I am farther away from unlocking
the next level.  Hopefully that makes sense and shows that speed is what is
important in this game.  Oh I almost forgot, you'll also hear the occasional
buzz sound that indicates I failed to draw any shape properly.  If I wasn't
accurate enough with my shape it won't count.  I am not penalized by drawing a
wrong shape, but obviously I wasted valuable time and more of my coins drained
away.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/daytona.wma
(I hope you can all open this recording format, it is the default windows 7
recorder saves as)

You can follow along with the development of the game on the Audiogames.net
forum.  I hope to have a working beta version posted soon.  Here is the
official thread
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=4595