I don't think there would be any problems.  I've made similar applications that
alter the mouse's behavior in windows.  The only difficult issue would be
telling the application that you wanted to switch to a different direction.
Intercepting the general key presses in windows would be tricky if you needed
it to be done by pressing or holding certain keys.

One method I've done is to have the program automatically determine what you're
trying to do.  If your first moments of mouse movement were moving vertically
it would instantly lock you into vertical movement only.  Then once you stopped
it would free you again just in case you wanted to pick a new direction next
time.  I could also add audio cues to the movement in case you wanted to know
if you're currently in the top 10% of the screen or something else like that.