To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mouse Support in Games

Hi Hayden,

I don't think it has anything to do with need. It probably doesn't
need mouse support. However, my feeling is since I am adding mouse
support to the engine in the first place, for games that could really
use mouse support, why not go ahead and include mouse support anyway?

Part of the issue here, I think is, that the VI community is so
alienated from the pointing devices in general they have an opinion
that including mouse support has to be something really special or
spectacular. However, as a mainstream gamer I can tell you most
mainstream games include mice support for very common/generic things
you can use the keyboard for just as well. However, take that mouse
support away and Edos, EA Games, Activision, ID Software, etc you name
it will have hundreds of angry mainstream gamers banging their doors
down asking for mouse support. Most mainstream gamers would rather use
the mouse even if it does nothing more generic than walk
forward/backward and turn left/right. That is just how they were
trained to interact with the computer. For the VI most start out using
the keyboard exclusively so no need for the mouse unless it offers
them something they can't ordinarily do with the keyboard. It is this
misconception of the mouse and joysticks I'd personally like to break.

For one thing the mouse is usually faster than keyboard input. For
example if you want to turn around quickly moving the mouse slightly
to the left/right will flip the character around in that direction.
Performing a left click while doing a slight pull to the right will
cause Angela to do a quick hop to the right, and the same for the
left. It just seams to me more natural and a bit smoother as you don't
have to hold and press any keys down. Just move the mouse a little
left or right to walk, jump, run, swim, whatever.

Hi Dark,
I agree here; MOTA really has no need for a mouse as far  Ias I can see.

Best Regards,
Hayden