HTH? Yes, it does, and you're right about those misconceptions I have, or had.

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mouse Support in Games

Hi Charles,

Well, first, some mouse basics. To begin with I think you are under
the false assumption you have to have a lot of space to move the mouse
around. In actuality your arm/wrist should remain stationary while you
use your wrist to move the mouse left, right, up, or down on the mouse
pad or desktop. It is true you can move your wrist some for larger
distances, but in principle you only need a few inches on either side
of your hand to move around in. The size of a mouse pad is all you
need. The reason is because a mouse user frequently picks up the mouse
off the desktop a few inches, and sets it back down somewhere else to
continue in that direction. So if you are walking/running and reach
the end of the pad you simply pick up the mouse and set it back down
on the other side and continue dragging it left/right.

As for how the mouse reacts when picking it up/moving it really
depends on the type of mouse being used. An optical mouse like I use
has a little optical sensor in it that only works when it is near a
solid surface like a desktop. When it is picked up a couple of inches
the optical sensor doesn't pick up the surface and ddoesn't move the
mouse when it is too far away from the surface of the desk. With an
older analog mouse, like you have, it has a little trackball inside
that moves the mouse when it is rolling around on the surface of the
desk. As long as you keep your hand fairly steady when picking up the
mouse it shouldn't move when picking it up and setting it down again.
If your hand is shaky or something the ball inside might wiggle around
and move your character a little, but like I said if you keep your
hand reasonably steady when picking up and setting down the mouse it
really shouldn't do anything. They are designed to be rolled on a
surface and really ignore any miner wiggles in the ball etc.

As far as walking/running in a game like MOTA you'd be surprised how
fast you can pick up and set down the mouse. It doesn't take that long
to pick it up, move it a few inches to the left or right, set it back
down, and continue moving in the direction you want to go. There might
be a slight pause in footsteps while picking up and setting it back
down, but most of the time I can do it before the footsteps finish
playing. Again, I think this comes back to the misconception that you
have to move the mouse all over the place when in reality you are only
talking a few inches left or right at a time. In short, practice makes
perfect.

As far as escaping monsters etc it depends on how good a mouse user
you are. You can run pretty much continuously if you are quick about
picking up, moving, and setting the mouse down. If you want to save
some time try doing a couple of big jumps. That is as fast if not
faster than running away.

HTH

Might be some weird questions, and the answers may be so logical that I'm
not thinking of them, but here goes: If you have to move the mouse in the
direction you want to go, what happens when you run out of mouse pad or
desktop space but want to continue moving in the same direction? How does
picking the mouse up and placing it back on a surface affect movement and
game play?  If you are being attacked, and are running away, mightn't you
get caught by the pursuer if you stop movement by picking up the mouse at
that time?

---
Laughter is the best medicine, so look around, find a dose and take it to
heart.