Hi Philip,

You definitely have a point. Although, I know C++ fairly well myself I
don't like using it as much as something like C# .NET just because its
a little too low-level for my liking. As author Jesse Liberty put it
in his book Teach Yourself C# .net in 21 Days, "going back to C++ is
like pulling teeth." He has a very good point as C# .net via the .NET
Framework wraps all that low-level stuff in a high-level interface.

For example, as you know and I know, a lot of the Windows API
functions take Unicode character strings. Well, if you have a lot of
anci strings you have to convert them to an unicode wide character
string before passing them to the API function. That's a pain in the
butt. In .net languages you don't have to worry about that problem
because the System::String class can convert between ansci and unicode
quite easily.

Then, there is the issue of memory management and garbage collection.
To be honest the garbage collecter is one of the strong advantages to
using .net languages rather than C++. With C++ you are on your own
unless you write your own garbage collecter to manage garbage
collection in the background.

Anyway, I agree with you. For various reasons writing games in C++ is
a pain. There is no doubt about that. Using a scripting language like
Angelscript or using a .net language as a high-level interface is
obviously a much easier solution all things considered.

Although, I'm curious to know why you don't like .net. There is a lot
i personally like about it, and for Windows programming it makes my
life as a programmer much much easier. There is also Mono, a Mac/Linux
implamentation of .net, which really makes cross-platform development
fairly straight forward for a lot of apps.

As for the BGT documentation I can't honestly remember when the last
time I looked at them was. It was well before 1.0 came out. Maybe beta
3 or beta 4. Something along that lines. As you said, a lot has
changed since then, and I should have looked before saying what I
said.

Cheers!