To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Ideas for a game

Hi Charles,

Believe it or not, no. The original NES gamepad pretty much was a flat
game controller with a directional cross on the left side and two
buttons marked A and B on your right. Specials could be performed by
pressing the A and B buttons together or pressing the directional
cross with one of the buttons. For example, holding the directional
cross down would duck attacks. If you pressed button A while pressing
the cross down it would fire a low punch to the belly. If you pushed
the cross up with the A button it would deliver a Karati chop to the
throat. If you pressed the A and B buttons together with the cross up
it would perform a flying snap kick to the head. Things like that were
always possible with the NES controllers and they didn't have nearly
the number of buttons found on most gamepads today.

Generally, what I find requires a lot of keys and buttons is speech
review commands. Actions like punch, kick, fire, climb, run, etc only
use a bare handful of keys or joystick buttons. However, if you want
to speak health, oxygen, strength, ammo, or anything else that would
normally be shown on sscreen you need to add additional hot keys to
speak that info.  That's why we have an unusually high number of
button and key asignments over the ordinary mainstream game.

Cheers!

These complex movements would have to use a lot of keystrokes or other
means, wouldn't they? I've heard that some gamers complain about the number
of keystrokes we have to learn to play some games like Lone Wolf and GTC.
Looking at the user's manuals, it seems like a lot.  I haven't had that
problem once I got familiar with the games, but I think that others have.

---
Laughter is the best medicine, so look around, find a dose and take it to
heart.