Hi Damien,

For the most part that's true. Although, there are alternative's to
DirectX. If I wanted ogg, mp3, and wma support using C# .net or VB
.net all I'd have to do is use FMOD Ex instead of DirectSound or
XAudio2. Since this is a freeware product a developer could use FMOD
Ex for free, and it doesn't require a commercial or shareware type
license.

However, for the most part I agree with you. While I don't have a
problem with VB .net or C# .net myself I realise there are others who
don't wish to use it for one reason or another. The main one being
that the .net runtime environment is extremely huge, and installing
third-party components can become a headache. If you install this or
that component in the wrong order you can break compatibility and have
to uninstall and reinstall everything correctly. This is probably one
of the most frustrating aspects to using .net based software. However,
there are plenty of good thingsabout .net as well.

As for Ken's desire not to use BGT I think I understand his point of
view. For him he wants to actually program a game from scratch, get a
feel for how the code works, rather than depending on tools like BGT
that hides all the low level workings of DirectX, Sapi, etc and gives
you a nice easy to use wrapper. BGT is nice, but if you want to
actually know how all that stuff really works you need something else,
a real programming language, to get down to the nitty-gritty of the
mechanics etc.

Cheers!