Hi Geremy,

Actually, I do understand your point, but as you say our goals are
completely different. For me I expect certain things out of any game
project I create or any game I buy. Obviously I want personal
satisfaction, but that isn't the only goal I have when I start a
project. I frequently upgrade my computers so therefore I expect
anything I create or buy to not only be compatible with the OS of
today, but to be somewhat forward compatible for the OS of tomorrow.
It needs to be easy to maintain, upgrade, and of course I do want my
customers to enjoy what I create as well. A number of factors here
that go well beyond just personal satisfaction. I think that is the
key issue.

For that reason some game developers frustrate me when they don't
exactly share this view or outlook on programming. A lot of accessible
game developers are still using Windows XP, Visual Basic, etc and
write decent games. However, since I have left all of that behind,
have upgraded, I'm easily frustrated by the fact those developers have
decided to live in the past rather than stay current as I do. This has
nothing to do with a work of art in my opinion, but designing
something that will last and be enjoyed for many many years to come.
Playing free games like Jim Kitchen's games is one thing, but I have
purchased a number of games from GMA, BSC, PCS, etc that are based on
Visual Basic 6 and are beginning to show their age. They still
technically run on Windows 7, but there are things that could be
better such as UAC compatibility for one or support for XAudio2 for
another.

Cheers!