well, I have the data on my external and run that.
I also have a backup.
I have had a drive fall over.
I almost lost everything I owned.
And that would really suck.
I managed to get it back partly by fluke from another broken drive and partly from some other backups.
I still lost a few things but not everything.
Now if you ran your win7 user from the external drive, pluss all your critical programs and things failed.
Well you would have an issue.
If you really want to do that.
then at least run your critical programs off your drive, or if win7 is running the user account of the drive have a backup account with everything running over the other drive so if it dies you are not out of luck.
I have had  someone have that same thing.
I don't recomend it.
Firstly reformatting makes it work again, then well a roasted drive you can't even recover stuff via non expensive means, hmmm don't go there man.