Hi,

Well, what you are seeing is the text art displaying a visual
representation of the map. If you keep scrolling down eventually you
will find the text. Its been a while since I've played NetHack, but I
know you can get past all that text art junk and get to the text by
scrolling down until you get to it.

Cheers!