To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 4:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Seamlessly upgrading DirectX

Hi Philip,

that was a very good article, and straight to the point. I've
encountered the same issues as you discuss, and at the moment that's
why I host the full DirectX runtime on my website. Still I'd be very
interested in your Inno Setup scripts so I can update
XAudio2, X3D, etc in the background as I'm likely going to be using
those components in the Genesis 3D engine myself in the not too
distant future. Like you I'd rather not have to depend on people
figuring out if they have the right versions of the libraries
installed and just do it. In fact, I need to do this with the Visual
C++ runtimes as well as I'm getting a bit tired of people not having
them and e-mailing support for help when I could just bundle them in
as a silent install.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I have been following the recent discussions about the best way to either
automatically upgrade DirectX, or check in the setup program whether the
necessary components are installed. There seemed to be some confusion
regarding this, so I spent some time yesterday evening researching it. The
following article is the result:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121962/DirectX.txt

I would like to know what you all think of my approach, especially other
developers.

I will include this article as part of the BGT package, probably with an
example InnoSetup script that sets up the components that BGT uses which are
XAudio2 from the June2010 SDK, and X3dAudio from the February 2010 SDK.
These are the latest versions available to date.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall