Hello Darren.

Actually thinking about it, you've probably hit the nail exactly on the head.

You talk about "showing in audio how far to jump" ---- say like in Jim's golf game where your told what a shot is and then must judge the distance.

However, in a graphical game you are never "told" this at all you are merely presented with an obstacle and it's up to you to work out how to get round it, rather than there being a set way.

For instance, you might get over a long pit either by doing a normal jump from directly on the edge, or by doing a running jump from further back.

While I do agree a more analogue and free form system in audio is more work to come up with, I certainly don't think it's impossible, and the bennifits to making addictive games are hugely worth it.

To take your example, look at these two different situations:

1: you press a key once to jump over a pit, then are attacked and must defend yourself the instance after.

or 2: you can here! a monster on the other side of the pit and must either use a ranged attack, or wait until the monster backs off to jump across.

the first situation is similar to a game like Q9 or superliam, and just perpetuates the issue we have now. yes, the first time it will probably be a surprise, but after only a couple of playthroughs, you'll be expecting that attack once your across the pit.

The second case however gives you more options, and indeed forces you to take into account the environment around you.

I actually think not enough has really been done with the possibilities of environmental sound in a 2D contex, for instance, ---- using the pitch of wind to show the depths of a pit, or being abel to here monsters before engagin in attacks with them.

Also, to my knolidge no audio game has ever used the more analogue style movement which has been in mainstream games sinse the early 80's, where by your characters' jump high or walking speed are tied to holding down a button not merely pressing it.

This is quite possible to do in audio (look at the rai racer jets), I'm just rather confused as to why nobody has yet implemented it in a game.

Beware the Grue!