Hi Philip.

this ai business sounds interesting certainly and I have seen occasions in mainstream games where certain enemies used tactics based on the players' actions and thus fought semi inteligently even going back to the nes era.

however, what I've tended to find in audio games is that the enemy's lack of interest isn't due to their tactics, so much as the games' essential lack of spacial dimention, and the fact that most audio game 2D enemies have one, and only one form of attack, namely hitting your character when he/she is close.

In a mainstream game though, the fact that a, the terrain and b, the spacial dimentions of the game are more in evidence means that even generic search and destroy enemies are far more interesting.

Take mario as an example. You have red cooper troopers which walk up and down on one ledge, and green ones which fall off ledges.

This means, if your standing underneath a ledge with a cooper trooper on it, you must take into account which sort it is and adjust your tactics accordingly, ie, if it is green, wait for it to fall and then either avoid or kill it, where as if it is red, you'll need to wait for it to move away from the edge of the ledge before jumping up to deal with it.

And this is even before we get onto subjects like firing bullits which may be jumped, ducked or only catch you while airborn, blocking your path, attacking in the air or on the ground, having some sort of shield against your attacks etc.

While the alteration of the ai sounds fun, I'd myself prefer to see some alteration in attacks to make fighting enemies more interesting.

This of course also goes right along with analogue jumps and altering distances, especially when your talking about enemies patrolling a certain area or firing in the air, --- -for instance having to time your jump across a pit when an enemy isn't shooting at you, or waiting for an enemy to retreat from across the other side of a pit before jumping over.

Beware the grue!