Hi tom.

Actually, a litle correction. Only one mega man game has ever! had a scoring system, and that was the first game on the Nes in 1986.

from mm2 to the present day, all mega man games have had no direct scoring system.

Occasionally there are rewards for performing a difficult tasks such as extra weapons ---- for instance by collecting all items in mega man x, you can gain the ability to throw the powerful Hadoken fireball from the street fighter series (though it has limited use), but none have had an arcade style scoring system.

In fact, like most of my favourite games, the mega man series are not arcade stye games at all, rather the point of each game is getting through it, finding all items and defeating all bosses.

As I said, realism, ----- even for robots batling in the future, is only a slight concern, but good game design and consistancy is deffinately there.

This is however probably just as you say a point of general disagreement, and probably as much due to the fact I've played some wonderful, none realistic game such as Mario, Metroid, Kirby, mega man, and Donkey Kong country as anything else, ----- mostly because the more realistic games like Resident and evil and tomb raider don't tend to be visually accessable.

A side scroller like alien 3 on the snes or Mega drive though, which is I think what you'd call realistic, certainly does! have a minimum range for weapons, limited amo and well thought out physics, so I have seen it done before, I've just never really thought realism was as much a concern in the majority of games unless, like resident evil or possibly alien 3 they directly attempt to be realistic simulations of some sort.

Beware the Grue!