Originally there was a way to buy more battery power, basically you paid
passing transport robots to plug in and charge you up.  I had to remove the
feature when I found ways to cheat with it.  Once you start breeding more
expensive animals, I had found you could use 20 power to sell one, and the
profits were more than enough to buy 20 more power.  Assuming the population
kept going up, I'm sure you can see how your money would skyrocket through the
roof.  If I come up with a cheat proof method I may add this back in.

Your other idea, building more solar panels, is actually already in the game
but just not in the first 5 missions of the beta.