Hi Shiny protector,

Pawns move one space forward at a time.  They capture diagonally.  Ok except
for their first move, they can move two spaces forward.  That is a first move
may be, I will move my pawn e2 to e4.  That is the pawn in front of the king
moves up two spaces.  However a pawn can not move up two spaces to avoid being
captured.  Well it can, but it can still be captured as if it, had only moved
one space.  And now if you get a pawn all of the way across the board to your
opponents king row, it can become any piece that you wish.  Normally a queen.
Well I guess not any piece as you can not have two kings.

HTH

BFN

    Jim

"Off with her head!" shouted the Queen.