Che, androyd is linux.

-original message-
Subject: [Audyssey] Disrespect for devs and notes on operating systems
From: Che <blindadrenal...@gmail.com>
Date: 09/06/2011 4:22 pm

   Amen to charles on that one.
   also, keep in mind you can still play DOS stuff on win 7 if I'm not
badly mistaken.
   I remember playing Zork on xp a few years ago, as long as there is a
demand for emulators out there, we could be playing Jim's life right up
until the end of ours.
   On the OS front, all this talk of linux versus macs versus windows
etc. seems to be missing something.  How long before android becomes the
operating system for not just your phone, but your main computer, which
may actually end up being your phone, your car, your fridge, etc.
   One way or the other, the days of expensive operating systems for
home users are numbered as everything moves to the cloud, and those that
think linux is coming out on top of that battle are dreaming the big
dream as well.  Linux is not going to gain mass appeal, but look how
quickly iOS and android have spread. when something gets that ubiquitous
that fast, and folks get used to it, its position is sealed for a long
time to come.
   Already, the teenagers in my family can fly on android and iOS, get
what they want done on it, and don't bother that much with the desktops
at all.  Their digital world is android and iOS, and windows, Mac OS
etc. is becoming an after thought. just a matter of time before these
free OS' take over, and with the power and money google and apple have,
you can bet they will be pushing the demise of windows hard.
   and yes, i know android has a long way to go, ditto for iOS before
being able to do all we want as a computer system, especially the
accessible stuff, but you can bet your bottom dollar a large chunk of
folks will be running android or a variant of it on their main systems
before the decade is out.
   so to that end, you guys abandoning windows and going with linux are
in the same boat as everyone else, the only difference is your efforts
will probably have a shorter shelf life than anything jim has put out,
barring the ocasional ports and emulations on next gen operating systems.
   having said all that, i've spent considerable time and efort on my
games for windows, and i'm confident there are quite a few years of
enjoyment to be had from them in the accessible community.
   bottom line, nobody is getting rich off accessible games, if you want
to program them in vb 6, or aim them at macs and linux, or whatever, as
long as your enjoying it, go for it, and don't let anyone else throw a
wet blanket on what your doing. the digital landscape is covered in ice,
who knows for sure where we're headed, but there is no point in slamming
anyone else for how they choose to bring their digital creations into
this world, we need all the creative minds we can get in the accessible
gaming community, thats the important part, not the tools your using.
   Later,
   Che, AKA The Swami