Hi Tom,
It's all just a matter of personal preference, in my opinion. Computers aren't half as fun without any games. To be honest I'm not a big Windows fan myself, but it's what I'm used to and have been brought up with. After playing with a copy of Vinux and a friend's Mac I came to the conclusion that I'd be better sticking with Windows. Not only from a games point of view, but interfaces, development, familiarity etc. Even after playing around with a Vista computer I didn't like that as much as XP. I can't speak for Windows 7 since I have never tried it, but if a game that I spent a lot of time playing didn't work on Windows 7 I wouldn't even consider upgrading. Most of my days are spent playing if not making games, therefore I'd be lost if I upgraded and a game didn't work as expected. Just because I make my own games doesn't mean that I'm going to stop playing games that Liam, Justin, David, Phil etc have come out with just because they use VB6 or an old language that only supports old systems. I'd rather have as many games to play as possible than forfeit them just because I may want to upgrade to a better system. Now if a game was updated and for whatever reason it didn't support XP, then I may have to purchase a second machine to run Windows 7 just so that I can play that game. But I would probably use my XP machine as my main one, at least until I got fully accustomed to my Windows 7 one and I was sure that all my favourite games would work on it.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] disrespect for gamers: was Re: Lunimals version 2.5b

Hi Charles and all,

the issue has nothing to do with appreciation. I certainly appreciate
all the work Jim does, and like several of his games. Its actually the
fact because I appreciate those games I want to see them improved and
made to meet current development standards and practices. Saying the
games don't work on Windows X so don't upgrade is simply not an answer
for most people. Given a choice I would upgrade and forget about the
games, but it would certainly be better to upgrade and still be able
to play the games too.

In a sense I've already done that. You all know I am running Linux not
Windows on my laptop, and  am currently looking at getting various
games running  under the Windows emulator, wine, and if that doesn't
pan out so be it. I'm not going to cry over not playing various games
I can't take with me. Obviously, though, I want to keep and play as
many games  as I can.

Bottom line, given a choice of buying a new PC with Windos X on it or
sticking with Windows XP for the rest of their life to play Jim's
games isn't a contest. I'd say most people would buy the new PC and
request Jim upgrade his games, but playing his games wouldn't stop
them from upgrading in and of itself.

Cheers!