Hi Philip,

There probably is a way to accomplish this, but I'm just unclear as to
how to go about it at the moment. I've seen two very good suggestions
already like switching from the display to the external video port of
the laptop if it has one, and I just looked at the Windows 7 projector
settings as was recommended here and it seems there is  a way to turn
the display off temporarily. At least under Windows 7.  Not sure about
XP though. So perhaps there is some obscure method for disabling the
display in the Windows API after all.  That would be much preferable
over messing with the display at the hardware/driver level.