From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:47 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] console gaming almost at an end

Hi Dark,

Agreed. The way console gaming has evolved interms of the new Wii
controllers, the XBox Connect technology, etc I think there will still
be more than enough of a market for console gaming despite what the
article says.

For one thing, the article completely overlooked or ignored is that
newer isn't necessarily cinonimous with better. There are always going
to be people who are happier with their old console, their old games,
and no matter how many new cool games you come up with, create some
new online style of gaming that makes consoles obsolete, there will be
someone who still wants to play the old games using the old hardware.
I do it all the time with my Atari 2600, NES, and Super NES consoles,
because I still like them despite being old and obsolete. So saying
that consoles are or will be soon at the end of their life is
stretching things a bit I think.

For instance, let's take Windows 7 vs XP. Well, we all know Windows 7
is the latest and newest Windows operating system available. However,
it still has not convinced the majority of the Windows PC market to
move away from XP. Both blind and sighted users alike generally agree
Windows XP is better, they don't like this or that about Windows 7, or
they just don't feel the need to spend money to upgrade both hardware
and software to get Windows 7. Either way Windows XP still has the
market share even though it is now 10 years old. Its not likely that
this will change right away. Eventually, yes, Windows 7 will replace
Windows XP, but people will hold onto XP as long as they can delaying
that change as long as possible. We might compare this to how many
people have PS III's and how many people like myself still play using
a PS II.

My point being is that the article is a hypathetical look at where the
gaming market will be 10 years from now. However, that can be hard to
determine at the best of times.   Right now the way the global
economic situation is I don't see people rushing out to buy new tech
for games if we don't have a serious improvement in the next couple of
years. The USA is almost bankrupt as it is, and if the dollar goes
belly up the entire global economey will go straight down the toilet.
So now isn't a great time to look at future projectsions when everyone
is watching his her wallet closely. That doesn't even consider
personal preference, and probably doesn't exclude people like myself
who could care less if Sony has online games or comes out with the PS
IV console next as I'm currently happy with my PS II.

Cheers!