Hi, I'm trying to find out more about this game, does it have sound or is it just text-based, and can you play with other people. Thanks from Lori.

From: "Christopher Bartlett" <themusicalbre...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:47 PM
To: "'Gamers Discussion list'" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: [Audyssey] Initial strategic thoughts on Castaways

First of all, I haven't even come close to winning yet, having been blown
up, starved and misallocating resources to a dead-end. But I have learned a
few things here and there that might help others starting out with this
game.  Some might consider these to be spoilers, but as Jeremy was talking
about a walk-through anyhow, I figure these thoughts may be of use.  Read
ahead at your own risk, the management is not responsible for any physical,
financial, moral, religious, special or other effects you may experience
either by doing so or risking the addictive nature of the game. On your own
head be it.

Pay attention to the recommendation to build a storehouse as your first
building; everything else goes much faster once you do.

The consequence of the tavern being the only place folk can eat is that this
probably should be your second building so your folk don't starve.  Don't
forget to assign a cook and bartender, at least until the initial wine
supply is gone, when you can free up the bartender for other work.

For purposes of building your storehouse, start with everyone as peasants
until you have accumulated the supplies necessary to build, at which point
you can switch four to six of them to be builders to get it done, while your
other peasants are gathering supplies for the second building site.  This
overlap of making sure to begin a new building site as soon as the last one has all the necessary materials is the key to efficient building, as it has your peasants always getting a site ready while your builders finish up the
last site.

Watch your initial inventories of bricks and lumber.  If you end up with
fewer than 8 of each before beginning to build a sawmill and a quarry,
you're sunk, as you have to have the sawmill to turn logs that lumberjacks
produce into lumber you can build with, and your stone masons have to have a quarry to work in to build bricks. So far as I know, there's no way out of
this logic.

Vegetable farms are good to build in the beginning; they're relatively cheap
in materials and produce immediately usable food, unlike wheat farms that
require a mill and a bakery and their attendant professionals.

Watch your people assignments.  Until you have your houses built and your
women start popping out babies, labor shortages are going to be your most
intractable problem.  You can get by on as few as two peasants, but your
building projects will be slowed way down as they will spend most of their
time ferrying food to the tavern. Don't be afraid to switch up your people
frequently; only keep a doctor when you have a sick or injured person.
Builders not actually working at a site are a waste of people; switch them
out until you have your materials gathered for a given site.

Jeremy, does lumber stored in the sawmill figure into building, or is that
reserved for barrel-making?

The goblins appear to begin in the northeast corner and spread slowly
through the map, entering at other edges as time goes by.  I still haven't
figured out the proper balance to get soldiers and knights in the field in
time; the development process is long and requires quite a bit of
specialized labor, which I've never had sufficient people to do in time. I
can't comment on the military aspects yet.

There, you now know most of what I know. I do urge people to try this game;
it needs a few small tweaks for playability that Jeremy tells us are in
process, but already it's pretty close to a final game.  I'm hoping for a
map editor and more information about specific terrain effects.

The last hint I'll give is to read your building descriptions thoroughly.
Each building will tell you what it produces and what jobs are needed for
that production.  Pay attention to the hospital in particular as injured
workers can represent a major drain on your already thinly stretched
productivity.

Enjoy.

               Chris Bartlett