Hi,

The letters and numbers in this case are refering to the US Interstate
highway system built in the 1950's. The idea was borrowed from the
German Autobond, but was expanded to support travel throughout the 48
continental states. Even numbered highways travel from East to West
while odd numbered highways run north to south. So if I want to head
north to Cleveland or south to Colombus Ohio, I can get on I77 to go
straight north to Clevelend or South to Colombus. If I kept going
south on I77 I'd eventually end up in Parkersburg West Virginia, and
of course beyond. Basically, it makes traveling by land from point A
to point B very painless as the interstate system criss-crosses every
US mager city allowing products to be trucked into major city
distribution centers where they can be delivered to surrounding towns
and villages not on the beaten path so to speak.

For instance, I live in Millersburg. That's a small hole in the wall
one-horse town a good 20 miles away from I77. Out of states goods are
usually dropped off in New Philli, and another truck picks up the
stuff at a warehouse, and delivers it to our local IGA, Wal-Mart,
Radio Shack, whatever.  So obviously the interstates are a big help in
moving goods not to mention anyone who wants to make a cross-country
trip faster and easier.

Cheers!