Oh I see, so you had guard towers, but no soldiers.  The guard towers,
themselves, don't defend against the Goblins, they just serve as launching
points for your troops.  Think of them the same way you think about saw mills
and quarries.  If the forest gets thinned out, you can put a new saw mill near
some thick forest, so your lumber jacks don't have to travel as far.  In the
exact same way, having guard towers near the enemy means your soldiers don't
have to walk all the way from your barracks, or storehouse, to attack them.  If
your guard tower is close to the enemy, even 1 or 2 soldiers will help slow
them down, of course, they will only slow them down and not actually hold them
back indefinitely.