I didn't just have soldiers. I had a few nights as well. And yet I still lost both towers.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] I broke castaways, plus soldiers and knights

Oh I see, so you had guard towers, but no soldiers. The guard towers, themselves, don't defend against the Goblins, they just serve as launching points for your troops. Think of them the same way you think about saw mills and quarries. If the forest gets thinned out, you can put a new saw mill near some thick forest, so your lumber jacks don't have to travel as far. In the exact same way, having guard towers near the enemy means your soldiers don't have to walk all the way from your barracks, or storehouse, to attack them. If your guard tower is close to the enemy, even 1 or 2 soldiers will help slow them down, of course, they will only slow them down and not actually hold them back indefinitely.

I had two right next to one another
in an area that was crawling with Gobs. I lost both of them
practicall right away. The initially sow up in Setor P but
I'm never to the point in my settlement yet where I'd feel
comfortable sparing a few people to be soldiers. And given
how long it takes metal ore and bars to be produced it
usually takes me quite a while to even get to that point
anyway.