I'm still working out how the prioritizing would work, but I'm quite certain it
would be an on the fly option.  I'm trying to generalize it as much as
possible, so that you aren't effectively taking direct control over your
workers.  As Dark as correctly pointed out, being indirectly in control is what
Castaways is all about.  Oh, and thank you.  The monks aren't a necessity, and
they do further drain an already taxed cloth industry, but I personally found
the upgrades to be helpful.  My personal choice was to upgrade my cook, and a
handful of my peasants.  I ended up shutting down my monks to save on cloth,
but had I continued, I might have upgrade a few other job types.