From: "Jeremy Kaldobsky" <jer...@kaldobsky.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] I broke castaways, plus soldiers and knights

I've got to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the strategies from you
guys.  I love how, every now and then, one of you
would suggest something I don't normally do in my own strategies, but when you
explained it, it would seem like such a good
idea that all I want to do it go apply it to my own game.  Haha, I am so
pleased that nearly everyone can play the game
differently, because there is no single Right! Way! to succeed.

The idea of having no cook, and just assigning one when it is needed, scares
the crap out of me.  I don't think I would have
the guts to go that route, but honestly, if you can balance it without killing
your people, that Is! an extra worker to help
in other areas.  Very efficient, just also very scary, for me at least haha!

There is a whole different side of things, that we never asked Bryan about.
How are your buildings arranged?  Even if you
have the same number of peasants, buildings, and knights, you could have very
different results depending on how they are
arranged.  If Dark puts a guard tower right near the Goblins, but you do not,
his knights will be considerably more effective
at defense because they won't waste so much time walking back and forth.  This
also holds true for peasants moving supplies
around.  The peasants will work on construction related, food related, and core
resource related jobs first (in that order),
so to do other jobs you need more peasants than those jobs are requiring.  If
they have to all walk farther, your settlement
might not have the extra manpower to do other things, while another settlement
might, even with the same number of workers.
This might not be the case, but I do think building arrangement is worth taking
a look at.

I was telling Dark a little earlier, I'm looking into a way to manually adjust
the job priorities for your peasants.  It will
be a bit time consuming for me to do, but it will give people a little more
freedom.  As someone who has actually Been!
adjusting priorities, albeit from a coding standpoint, it is very easy to kill
the whole town by saying something as innocent
as "Carry wheat before you carry vegetables".  The effects ripple out in ways
you don't always predict, so even when I add
this feature, I will recommend against using it, except for people who feel
comfortable dabbling into this more advanced, and
risky, direction.  lol!