Sinse they are stil of some use to me, I've always played the game with graphics on, and haven't noticed this at all when on blazing myself.

Perhaps there is something else on your computer that is taking up memory.

Certainly, castaways graphics are quite simple in design and the game doesn't have animations, so there shouldn't be a huge difference in performance.

also, how much is going on elsewhere?

we know from those loopy people who test the game with 200 population that eventually the game will have too many people to handle, if you had an insane number of people maybe this was partly responsable for slowdown especially on blazing speed.

Beware the grue!