Hi Charles and all,

Well, I understand your point of view, but you aren't really looking
at the big picture. Yes, I understand from where you are sitting it
looks like Microsoft and everyone else isn't taking you and others
into consideration by moving to a 64-bit platform and abandoning
32-bit platforms. The problem here you are not seeing is that 32-bit
processors and platforms can no longer keep up with the demands of
newer operating systems and  we are rapidly reaching the limitations
of 32-bit technology. Its these technical limitations that 64-bit
operating systems directly adress. Here is a quick overview of what
I'm talking about.

RAM --- Todays operating systems like Windows Vista and Windows 7 need
quite a lot of random access memory to run. At a bare minimum you need
at least 1 GB, but 2 GB or more is really needed if you plan to run
games, movies, and other applications in Windows. The problem with
32-bit technology is you are limited to 4 GB of addressable memory
space which means weather or not you put 8 GB of RAM in your PC a
32-bit OS will only see and use 4 GB of memory. A 64-bit OS like
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit supports up to 128 GB of addressable memory
space. This is more like what we need now considering the types of
applications as well as high resolution video formats like blue ray
uses quite a lot of RAM on their own.

Performance --- Any application written for a 64-bit platform will out
perform one written for a 32-bit or 16-bit platform. Although, much of
what is improved probably won't be noticed by the average PC user the
fact of the matter is that a 64-bit operating system, applications,
file system, etc will improve over all performance of the PC in a
number of areas regardless if you are aware of it or not.

Precision --- One thing that makes 64-bit processors so much better is
in terms of precision when it comes to performing any kind of
mathematical calculation. Now, obviously a game like Blackjack would
not overly be effected by this as we aren't doing any kind of serious
scientific calculations. However, a game like Microsoft Flight
Simulator X, which uses a lot of real time physics and extensive 3d
graphics, would use the 64-bit processor to render sharper graphics
and the physics engine would be far more accurate than on a 32-bit
platform. Obviously, for serious mainstream gamers 64-bit is the way
to go for more realistic high tech games.

So how does all of this effect you personally? That's a good question.
It really all depends on what you use the computer for. For the
average home user who just browses the internet, reads e-mail, and
chats on Facebook and Twitter the advantages of a true 64-bit platform
is pretty nill. At most the average user might discover the computer
performs a little better, boots faster, supports more RAM, etc but
otherwise wouldn't see any advantage in it. The die-hard PC gamer
would notice an advantage as the real time graphics, the physics
engine, etc in their high-end PC games would be far superior to than
those on a 32-bit operating system. A person who likes sitting back
and watching blue ray dvds on their laptop might notice that the
playback is smoother, sharper, and plays better on their 64-bit
computer because the resources for all that high-end video is
available. A person who likes recording and editing his/her high
definition movies would have more memory and CPU power to edit their
video files and burn them to blue ray dvd. Which brings up a technical
point I didn't mention above.

I think most people are aware the price of standard dvds are coming
down in price, most cost about $5.00, and more and more stuff is being
put out on blue ray dvd only. Many television channels are switching
over to high definition video which can be recorded and burned to blue
ray dvd with an extremely high degree of video resolution. Frankly put
32-bit computers aren't really up to the task of handling high
definition video, blue ray, and so on do to memory and file size
limitations in the technology. As said above you are pretty much
limited to 4 GB of RAM and 32-bit versions of Windows has troubles
with files over 4 GB as well. A high definition video file can be
anywhere from 25 GB to 50 GB in size. A 64-bit platform can handle
this issue easily, but a 32-bit platform can not. So the home user
that records last nights Law and Order in high definition video, edits
out the commercials, and burns it to blue ray is going to be limited
by his CPU and memory if he is hoping to save that recording in high
definition video format. So it logically follows that Microsoft and
other developers in the computer industry are right there to see what
is needed now, and to begin adopting a standard which meets today's
technical requirements rather than hang onto 32-bit platforms which
are now dated and unable to do everything that might be expected of
them. Blaming Microsoft for this problem is like shooting the
messenger without reading the message being given.

Cheers!