Hi Mike,

Did you unpause the game? When the game starts it is paused. You have
to press the spacebar to actually start/unpause the game. Otherwise
your people will stand around doing nothing, because the game hasn't
officially started yet.

As for lumberjacks you don't want six lumnberjacks. That is way, way,
way too many people asigned to a single task. You need perhaps only
one lumberjack at most and as the game progresses you will want to
give your people other jobs like cook, farmer, fisherman, hunter, etc.
Basically, balance it out a bit. The only job you need a lot of people
for is peasant as they are the people responcible for carrying and
stocking supplies while your skilled workers cook, farm, build, or
make stuff.