Hi michael.

it sounds to me like you didn't have any builders.

You don't really need lumberjacks sinse you can't use logs until you have a sawmill and a carpenter to chop them into lumber anyway.

When you start, you begin with everyone as builders. I'd recommend perhaps creating one fisherman and one hunter, then letting your builders get on with building the storehouse.

After that, assign some people to be full time peasants, and build the tavern (close to the storehouse), your remaining builders will be peasantst the rest of the time, but you want to make sure your basic fetching and carrying is stil being done even when your builders are busy building.

After you've built the tavern, assign a cook.

Now you can field your people, gather supplies from the beach, and your fishermen and hunters can take their meet somewhere to be used. Then you can go on to building farms to keep your food supply stable (I recommend starting with a vedgitable farm), and a sawmill andquarry to make certain you keep getting bricks and lumber.

Hth.

Beware the grue!