Hi Tom.

as regards your point concerning lack of exposure to mainstream games, this seems true to an extent. for instance, when justin of bsc described hunter as "an adventure role playing game" it's pretty clear that in writing that description, he had litle idea of what an actual role playing game of any type such as Dragon warrior, legend of zelda or final fantasy actually involved, in fact I am pretty certain he thought, as I've seen expressed on list previously, that a role playing game simply meant a game with a defined main character who's role you take on, even if playing that role involves arcade style action.

sinse I am pretty certain Justin was not familiar with the mechanics or full focus of rpgs, on plot and exploration, it's clear how he made the mistake (and hunter is a good arcade game afterall).

So this clearly does happen.

However, there are also cases where two people simply have similar ideas.

Castaways for instance bares quite a resemblance to a very popular recent internet ascii graphics simulation game called dwarf fortress, in which you as the player manage a group of dwarves building a fort, and must assign them work, identify different areas to work on, manage resources and built items such as metal and stone for weapons, even pets like cats and dogs to get rid of vermin.

though the game is pretty inaccessible, a friend of mine is a huge fan. I showed him castaways, and his first comment was "a lot like dwarf fortress"

Yet, jeremy has never come across dwarf fortress before, despite it being a recent, and very popular indi game regularly discussed around the net.

Thus, castaways is an entirely original idea.

Beware the grue!