HI Dark,

True enough. In a 2d side-scroller you were limited in what you could
do wich was go foward, backward, up, or down. Sometimes not even that
much depending on the game and situation. That made traps and
obsticals difficult because there was no way around it except to fight
that boss, successfully jump the trap, or whatever was required to get
passed that barrier. With full blown 3d there is a lot more
maneuverability available to the player such as foward, backward,
left, right, up, or down. This usually gives you more options in
getting around a certain obstical.

For instance, take Monkey Business. At the beginning of the Aztec
temple level Smith must get around a series of acid pits. Smith can
jump them, but its also possible to move carefully along the left and
right edges of the pits while avoiding the falling rocks to get passed
that particular barrier. While it gives you more than one way to get
passed that trap it also offers additional challenges too. The falling
rocks are a pain to avoid if you choose to walk around the acid pits
rather than jump them directly. I don't necessarily think that going
3d makes things easier for the player, but it can add more options and
choices into the mix here.

Cheers!