Hi Michael,

Ok, we are beginning to get off topic here, but I'll address your
concerns quickly as a matter of info since you braught them up and
then drop the topic.

First, the commercial screen readers Hal, Window-Eyes, Jaws try to
support what they see as the most common web browser, e-mail client,
office sweit, etc going for Windows. Since Jaws and Window-Eyes's
goal is job access with speech they naturally tend to support
applications you are likely to find in a job environment like MS
Office, Internet Explorer, and so on. Something like Lebre Office may
be free, should be supported, but if its not being supported by
companies and corperations the screen reader developers tend to make
accessibility for that application a low priority.

Second, Other issues abount with languages like Java and Flash because
they don't use the native Windows toolkits like the Windows API which
makes getting access to the application written in that language
difficult. If I write an app in Java using the swing graphics toolkit
I have to get at that graphics toolkit through a third-party API, the
Java accessibility bridge, which reports what is on screen to the
screen reader being used where normally the screen reader would obtain
that information from the Windows API itself. If something like Flash
doesn't have an access bridge and doesn't talk to the Windows API
directly then the application isn't going to be able to brodcast
onscreen information to the screen reader being used.

Finally, how Jaws handles the Real Speak voices has nothing to do with
Freedom Scientific. Scansoft has changed the licenses for their
voices, no longer offer Sapi 5 versions of their voices, and they are
now integrated directly into an application. That's why the Real Speak
voices on the Jaws site only work with Jaws and not anything else.

HTH