Hi tom.

I see the point about other applications, and indeed have the java access bridge installed on my system for that reason, however with Flash I'm a litle confused.

From what I've seen, flash is only ever used in online games and net based
things.

It's true that when images are involved flash is just as inaccessible as a windows ap with lack of graphics, but from what I've seen where text is present flash and Hal seem to cooperate relatively well, on sites like utube, google videosthe some retro remakes that use a flash pane with a couple of buttons etc.

This is not true of some similar web media formats, for instance unity, which is why i sort of assumed flash was something Hal supported when possible and presumably other screen readers could be made to support as well.

if I've misunderstood the workings of flash fair enough.

Beware the grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Free Chess Program for the Blind - Winboard4.5forJAWS

Hi Dark,

Yes, but that is  a web application which is a mixture of html and
flash. Michael's complaint or point was stand alone flash apps that
are not web based have accessibility issues. My theory was that the
Flash runtime environment for Windows doesn't always return the
controls or text to the screen reader because its a non-standard API
for Windows applications. Screen readers as a rule rely on core
Windows APIs like the Win32 API and MSAA to gather onscreen
information when and where possible. Java's Swing toolkit, for
example, doesn't use any standard Windows APIs and therefore is
outside the norm and requires a special API, the Java Access Bridge,
to be present in order to communicate onscreen information to the
screen reader assuming the screen reader supports it. This is in large
part why there is accessibility issues with applications, because not
every language, graphics toolkit, etc sticks to a standard and screen
reader developers have to go out of their way to support other
applications using non-standard APIs and toolkits.