Hi Tom.

what you say about programming makes sense, and that might actually be something I'd look into when my phd is finished, sinse creating an rpg has always been a desire of mine.

for superhero powers though, I'm afraid mutants is precisely the sort of rp system that can! handle just about any power from super strength, to magic, to super science.

it has rules for creating a generic close or ranged, attack and fitting it with an element or an effect if needed.

For instance, my characters' powered armour has lasers which are simply a standard ranged attacked at one targit that do the full degree of my characters' damage.

Another character in our party is the reincarnation of a god of sunlight. She has a blast of light attack. This is not as damaging as my lasers, but has a dazle effect, and also sinse it's a blast of light can affect shadow based creatures.

another of our party is a half fae, and she has a bow which she uses to fire arrows.

all of us derive our powers from different sources, but mechanically, all of the attacks can be classified as ranged attacks against a single targit doing different sorts of damage and different sorts of effects, ---- heck my armour also has several ranged attacks itself, going from a dimentional cannon that can affect insubstantial creatures, to a scope which does less damage but has a greater chance of hitting, ----- then I have enhanced strenght and can always punch or grapple people too!

As you might guess, i'm prety much the group's main fighter, though other people have skilsl like healing, magic rituals, mental manipulation and such.

My point however is that actually a full system could be created that could handle spells, super powers or whatever, but it would be a hugely complex thing to do, ---- mutants afterall is a pretty complex rp game and you probably couldn't put the mechanics into a gamebook in a satisfactory way.

Beware the grue!