Hi Michael,

What specifically is the problem with configuring a joystick? Once you
load a rom just press alt+f7 to bring up the joystick dialog and there
you can map or asign various actions to buttons. Just tab to the
button you want to asign and follow the steps on screen.

As far as the display error I'm clueless on that score. i've always
just accepted the defaults and they always worked regardless of XP,
Vista, Windows 7, or Linux. So perhaps we need more details about the
error specifically to resolve it.

HTH