Hi Michael,

Is this by chance a 64-bit version of Windows 7? If so then you have
to use the 32-bit version of the control panel to set the default
voice. Even then 32-bit voices aren't necessarily reliable on Windows
7 64-bit as they weren't designed for the operating system. A little
more information about your setup might help here.

Cheers!