as some of you know, Harmonix is the company responsible for the Rock Band series. Here's a link to part 1 of a really good interview conducted by GiantBomb, and some interesting sections I've pasted below for those too lazy to check out the whole thing lol.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-past-present-and-future-of-harmonix-part-i/3761/
Here are some interesting bits related to the Rock Band franchise:
GB: Considering the insane number of features Rock Band 3 came out with, one does have to wonder if Rock Band is something that can still be innovated on
in its current form. Do you think it can be?

GLP: Absolutely. We're thinking hard about that, how to move it forward. I'm confident in saying on the record that we have not abandoned the Rock Band franchise, we think there's a lot of creative life left in it, and we're extremely excited in the creative opportunities we think are there.

AR: We definitely plan to keep releasing weekly DLC, we're at what, like 200 weeks now?

John Drake: Yup! Almost four years straight of weekly DLC.

AR: So we still have a loyal audience who continues to show up weekly to gobble up our weekly releases. That actually continues to be a profitable business
for us, which is nice. And then we have the relaunch of Rock Band 3 with
Mad Catz
this holiday season. It's a Metacritic 93 title you can buy at retail for $19.99, so if you're still playing an older Guitar Hero or Rock Band game, it's
a great value.

So in the short term we're basically continuing to attend to that business as we have been. In the longer term, looking into next year, we're actually considering fairly fundamental creative reinterpretation of what the Rock Band business is. We're committed to the franchise, but when I think that when we do things with it in the future, it's going to be a pretty dramatic departure from what we've done before.

GB: Undoubtedly the DLC market has been huge, but at a point that does seem sort of like preaching to the choir, satiating the audience you already have locked down. Is there something you believe you can do to extend beyond that existing fanbase?

AR: I'd love to talk at great length about that, of course. I'm reluctant to say too much about where we're headed with it right now, except to reiterate
that it's a pretty radical departure.

EE: It's interesting. We do have plans on where we're going to go with Rock Band and how we plan to expand it. All I'll say for now is that it isn't what you think. You might assume we're going to add saxophone or something along those lines, but no, the kind of direction we're planning on taking Rock Band, the kind of innovation we have in mind, is taking it in a different direction, one that's more suitable to the kind of environment we're in, what people
are doing now, what they're interested in playing now, versus, say, 2007.

GB: So there are some strong ideas then?

EE: It's more than ideas. We are working on it, and we have forward progress. It's an exciting, fresh take on it. I'll leave it at that.

So, let's speculate! What could these guys be working on? A complete reboot of the franchise, perhaps? and if so, what could we as gamers and music enthusiasts expect? they clearly stated it has nothing to do with new instruments, and to be honest, I expected as much. I don't even think it's anything to do with pro instruments. I think it's something much, much deeper than all that. an actual band experience that'll blur the line between a gamer, and a musician. HMX is all about innovation. I think whatever we come up with won't even come close to what the company has in store for us, but let's give it a good shot! I'm totally psyched for this thing, whatever it may be. so, whatcha guys think ?