John,

We generally run holiday specific events only once a year, but we do
something similar every year.

The nightmare plane is a permanent addition, and will be available
after the events are over.  You'll be welcome to try it out when you
gain enough levels :)

Regarding the invasion area itself, I believe it will become a
permanent part of the game a few days after Halloween ends.  The
builders plan to modify it slightly to remove the Halloween specific
stuff and add it to the area list in early November.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com