To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games News

Hi,

Ah, that's still one of the issues I'm working on. When using Jaws for
speech output there is a keyboard trapping issue I've not found a good
way around yet. I did put the JFW demo to sleep and that seemed to
work, but even though it frees up the keyboard its not as responsive
as using say NVDA, because I think Jaws still tries to capture or trap
the keyboard in the background. It is pretty problematic right now. I
may have to switch over to standard keyboard events rather than using
DirectX to fix that issue.

However, as for ESpeak and Eloquence I don't think they fit well into
a game environment, but its whatever works. With newer versions of
Jaws like Jaws 12 there is plenty of RealSpeak Direct voices like Tom,
Karen, Jennifer, Daniel, etc so all the user has to do is download and
install a RealSpeak direct voice, set Jaws up to use that, and the
game will use the RealSpeak voices instead of Eloquence. So hopefully
it is things like that which will provide a better solution than just
ESpeak or Eloquence.

Cheers!