To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games News

Hi Thomas,
I don't know if you are aware of this, but there might be several problems coming the way of all JAWS and RealSpeak Direct users. Unfortunately no one in that the Speech Market except Ivona seems to be willing to give apropriate information about their products. I'll post this here in public, so that all people know of this, since the talk on games and speech engines has already started. First of all Nuance/Scansoft has developed several new voices. Some of them being in new languages and other ones give more choices for existing languages.
First of all, the new voices are not named RealSpeak, but Vocalizer 5.
The only company who does sell the new voices to end users is Koba Vision.
There you have to pay more than $300 for two voices of your liking.
However there are two problems with the new product. First of all, It seems that the new engine might not be totally stable, but this might have been fixed by now. But the more important issue is that the new distribution of voices seems to be of lesser quality than the RealSpeak Direct voices. The next thing you should know is that the new Scansoft voices haven't been made available to JAWS users up to now (the reason is unknown). Furthermore, the new voices can't be purchased from nextup.com for TextAloud, either. And the last piece of news is that Nuance and Loquendo are effectively becoming one company now and that again no one knows what this means for the individual products of both companies and for general availability of said products...
That's it, more information seems to be unavailable.