Jeremy what about put it so if the connection drops o for a while the system says that you timed out and return you to the main menu maybe have an error sound. Same if you try to connect but are not online the system should wait for say 20 seconds and then say something to the effect that you are not connection or have a prroblem or something rather than crashing itself fully.
If you're getting that error message randomly as you play, it actually does sound like you are losing your internet connection for a short period of time. It would cause that exact error, though a few other things could also cause it, so we can't conclusively say this is due to a lost connection.