It's a little more complicated than that actually.  Walking doesn't move you 1
tile per step, or even half a tile per step.  In many games you are locked to a
grid, but this game doesn't work like that.  Each tile is almost like measuring
out a square of carpet and setting it on the floor.  With enough squares you
could always stop and be told which one you were on, but you could be at its
edge, center, or halfway between as many as 4 of them at a time.  When you
request your coordinates it simply rounds to give you the easiest numbers to
deal with.  Off hand, I'm not sure how many steps it would take to truly move 1
tile.  It would also be only an approximation if I did measure it, because the
foot steps aren't quite that standardized either.

I'm still trying to figure out the best approach with weapon ranges.  My first
plan is going to be to just increase the ranges so that you can always hit what
you hear.